DIBTA – it stands for “Dallas Is Better Than Austin.”
1. We built a park on top of our freeway. You built a freeway on top of your freeway.
2. Dirk Freaking Nowitzki.
Both as a MVP world champion athlete
And as a person (seen here in Kenya with his wife at their wedding.)
3. Our biggest contribution to Tex-Mex is the frozen margarita, yours is a contest to see how many potato egg and bacon burritos you can eat.
So famous and delicious that there’s one in the Smithsonian.
Um…Man V. Food famous?
4. An actual African American community with a strong musical history that dates back to Robert Johnson and runs all the way through to Erykah Badu (quick name one black person from Austin that didn’t play for UT).
5. Roundup is better than, wait do you have any gay cowboy saloon dance club that Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lawrence like? No, okay just checking.
Lady Gaga at Roundup (Not pictured Austin)
6. We’re not inundated by 200 of the biggest blowhards every other year for several months. (The Texas legislature)
This looks like a conversation I want to be a part of said no one ever
7. 120 miles of light rail and commuter rail service versus 50 (DART versus the Capital).
Dallas’s extensive DART network
Austin’s, um…extensive red line north?
Also DART’S least busy rail line carries three times as many passengers as the enitre rail system for Austin does.
8. Our festivals aren’t sponsored by huge corporations, or over run by tens of thousands of people from LA, Chicago or New York. But they are headlined by local bands and not arena bands like Coldplay, The Eagles, or Van Morrison.
Polyphonic Spree playing at Dallas’ Homegrown Festival
Coldplay? Van Morrison? Journey???? playing at “Target presents the Samsung South by Southwest Festival sponsored by Pepsi.”
9. Ron Washington
He’s having more fun in life than you Austin.
10. Arguably the strongest and most vibrant LGBT community in Texas.
Dallas County Sheriff Lupe Valdez has been a proud lesbian for years and the elected sheriff since 2006.
11. Our “off the beaten path hang out spots” stay that way. They aren’t inundated by hipsters every weekend and over exposed.
We like to keep our hidden gems hidden.
12. Our basketball coach named Rick is better than yours. (Mavs coach Rick Carlie is better than UT’s Rick Barnes).
Notice the background behind our coach named Rick
Now notice the background behind yours
Hmmmm….what’s the difference
13. White Rock Lake is better than Barton Springs. (where’s the Barton Springs Marathon).
Lake > Spring
14. Denton is better then Round Rock.
Round Rock below
15. High fashion in Dallas is more then a nice pair of jeans. Cough, cough Neiman’s cough.
High Fashion in Dallas (that’s Neiman’s head Stanley Marcus with French designer CoCo Channel at Neiman’s in Dallas)
As opposed to “High” Fashion in Austin
16. Petilocas is better than Live Oak, – at least according to the medals they win at all those American Beer Award thingys. Haven’t heard of it, well that’s simple you arrogant beer snubs. It’s because according to their owner, “…calls from Austin to sell his beer there are largely ignored. ‘For years I drove down there for good beer, now they need to come up here.”
This is Michael Peticolas, founder of Peticolas brewing. If you look closely you can see that he’s flipping off Austin.
17. Our suburban minor league teams are better than your yours.
Go Allen Americans!!
18. Lee Park Easter Hat Derby
19. The Red River Rivarly. The biggest annual football game your team plays doesn’t even happen in your town. Plus, when do the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars or Rangers play a meaningful game in Austin.
Texas-OU at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas (Again Not Pictured Austin)
20. Our skyline. Nobody ever wrote a song about how great Austin looks at night from a DC-9.